Friday, March 9, 2007

Those Ladies on The View, God Love 'Em!

While I generally try to avoid gossip-laden talk shows, I have to give it up to whomever it is on The View who is spearheading the special editions of The View dedicated to common mental health problems that affect so many people. You'll recall that I wrote about their show about Autism-Spectrum Disorders. Well, today's show was dedicated to equally debilitating illnesses: Depression and Bipolar Disorder. I was especially pleased that they chose to have a panelist, Dr. Hyla Cass whose practice focuses on naturopathic ways of treating mental illnesses. Rosie O'Donnell shared that she suffers from Seasonal Affective Disorder (aka SAD) and demonstrated the inversion treatment that she uses at home. For those of you interested in this treatment, but have neither the money or space for special equipment, you can achieve the same effects by doing this simpler version at home (i.e. viparita karani, for all you yogis out there): Make yourself into an L-shape by putting your feet up the wall while your head and torso rests on the floor. Rest with your palms facing upward. You can stay as long as you like, but to enjoy the benefits of increasing blood flow to your brain, you should stay in this position for at least five minutes. Once you try it, you may not want to get up! To get out of the position safely, bend your knees and roll over to your side. Rest for at least 10 seconds (more if you get head rushes easily) before pushing yourself up with your arms to a seated position. Take several more breaths before standing--and go slowly to avoid dizziness.

Depression affects 1 in 5 people (and perhaps more due to under-reporting). No one should suffer needlessly. There are therapies (naturopathic, talk, and drug) which taken either alone or in combination can speed relief.

2 comments:

Baby Keeper said...

Very interesting info. Thanks!!

For a few years -- part of my divorce processing five years ago -- I have been spending extended time in water, and under water in my tub. My son is in Iraq since October and this has required much intense emotional work. Depression is a natural response to the powerlessness of being unable to protect our child. Normal reaction to abnormal situation. I have been finding myself lying flat in the tub, under water except for my face with my legs up against the wall. I am a craniosacral therapist -- body/mind/spirit healing -- and find that using intuitive ways of supporting myself have been very easy and very helpful. I always enjoy a piece/post/info like this that explains and/or verifies for me.

Nice blog.
janel
www.hospitalbirthdebate.blogspot.com
www.safebabyresolution.blogspot.com
www.Itsthebabysbirth.com

Shannon said...

Janel,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will have to try your tub method for legs up the wall. My thoughts go out to you and your son--may he come home well and soon.